Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hello from Chengdu

Hello from Chengdu!  After a few issues with my flight from Shanghai to Chengdu (they claimed my ticket for that flight had been cancelled), I made it here very early Saturday morning.  After a couple of hours of sleep, I started to get myself oriented to the campus.  One of the staff from the study abroad program (USAC) gave a couple of us a tour around campus.  It's not terribly big, but very busy with people everywhere.  I don't think all of them are students - it looks like the community uses  parts of campus too.

Saturday afternoon a group of us went to a large grocery store (it was similar to a Target or Walmart store) to do a little shopping.  Some of the students were buying sheets and towels.  I didn't need those things, so my focus was on toilet paper (they don't provide it anywhere) and snacks.  The tp was easy, but the snacks were a bit more work.  There is plenty to choose from, but my Chinese is pretty basic at the moment, so I had to rely on pictures to figure out what things were.  It makes for a much different trip to the store than if you can read everything!

I went to dinner on Saturday with the resident director, Wentao, and her husband and daughter, and a visiting professor and her parents.  The parents didn't speak any English and I don't speak much Chinese, so it made for interesting attempts at conversation sometimes.

Sunday was orientation day.  In the morning we had a long meeting and then a group lunch. Then we got into small groups and had to go to an assigned location in the city by bus and return by subway.  That was a lot of work!  The bus and subway systems are actually really good, but when you don't speak Chinese, it makes for a mental challenge, especially the first time.  We were all successful and got to our locations and back without any major incidents.  Our group went to a major shopping district which was very busy on a Sunday afternoon.

Lunch!

A sight on the way to our destination - a major shopping street in the city.

The subway was very crowded!

I have to put in some construction pictures too!  This one is just showing a lot of scaffolding which is all made out of pipes connected together.  Even the steps are just pipes.  This would definitely not pass OSHA in the US.



No comments:

Post a Comment