Monday, June 23, 2014

Around Chengdu

Thought I would post some pictures from around Chengdu.

This is a bus map of Chengdu (or at least I think it is, since there seems to be one at almost every bus stop).  I have yet to figure it out, but I know a handful of routes to get around the city.  The buses are sorta love/hate for me.  You never have to wait more than about 5 minutes for the bus - there are just that many!  And if you know which bus to take, you could probably go anywhere, very cheaply.  One ride is the equivalent of about 13 cents and you can go on as many buses as you want within 2 hours for that one fare.  But...they tend to be extremely crowded and you really have to know where you are going (especially since everything is in Chinese).  Twice I've needed a stop that let me off on a one-way street and I couldn't find the stop to go back to campus.  Took the metro back once (which is more expensive) and a taxi back once (a lot more expensive, though still really cheap compared to the US). 

A tower/monument/thingie in People's Park.  Sorry, I don't have a clue what it actually is....

There's a pond in the park.  It was raining the day I went, but those folks were taking a boat out anyway.  It was entertaining to see them try to row the boat while holding the umbrella!

I visited a tea house as well.  This is chrysanthemum tea.  The thermos has hot water in it so you can refill your glass and stay as long as you want.

More of the tea house.  There are also people that are ear cleaners here (yes, I know how odd that sounds).  For a couple of dollars, they clean out and tune your ears (I don't fully understand the tuning part but that's what they call it).  If you pay more, they'll give you a brief shoulder massage too.  

You might have heard of Global Center.  It's an enormous building (supposed to be about 18,000,000sf of floor area) in the south part of Chengdu.  Not a great picture (I was on a bus), but that's it.  Here's a link to wikipedia info on the building: New Century Global Centre

The rest of the pictures are of construction projects around the city.  There are hundreds of projects and I would hesitate to guess how many tower cranes are in this city alone.  On one bus ride, within a two minute span, I counted 19 tower cranes and that was only looking to the left side of the bus....



The blue buildings in front are for worker housing.  Most projects seem to provide housing for at least some of the labor.  This project isn't a building.  It's part of the extension to the metro.  Right now there are 2 lines - one north/south and one east/west.  They have BIG plans for expansion though and are actively working on it....


No comments:

Post a Comment